The Property Accountant is responsible for the preparation of financial and operational reports for a portfolio of properties, as well as providing financial and accounting support to property managers.
Summary of Job Duties
- Compiles and analyzes financial information in preparation for entry into financial statements and accounting reports, and makes appropriate journal entries for recording in the general ledger by checking calculations, reviewing basis for figures, and balancing and reconciling figures.
- Reviews budget, revenue, expense, payroll entries, invoices, and other accounting documents and researches and resolves discrepancies as necessary.
- Performs bank reconciliations and wire transfers for deposit, makes mortgage payments and distributions, and ensures accuracy.
- Maintains and coordinates accounting control procedures by analyzing revenue and expenditure trends and recommending appropriate budget levels to ensure expenditure control.
- Analyzes and reviews accounting and financial resources for property acquisitions, dispositions, and closings and budgets and expenditures for local, state, federal, private funding, contracts, grants, and other corporate financial and accounting transactions.
- Acts as liaison to internal and external auditors by explaining journal entries and financial transactions, providing research data and information as requested, and answering questions necessary to complete the audit in a timely manner.
- Communicates with on-site and other property managers to assist in completing pre-close and close activities, answer questions, provide support, and ensure timely completion of accounting processes for on-time client and Company reporting.
- Completes various financial, accounting, administrative, and other reports and analysis, and performs other duties as assigned or as necessary.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting or Finance required; advanced degree preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience is required. Preference will be given to candidates with real estate and/or public accounting experience.
- Experience with Yardi or similar real estate accounting systems is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Clear understanding of GAAP and lease accounting.
- Must be organized, detailed, flexible, efficient and take ownership of own work product.
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills.