The Development Accountant will be responsible for analyzing and preparing financial and operational reports for development projects and value-add acquisitions to ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, corporate policies and external audits.
Summary of Job Duties
- Responsible for monthly financial reporting for development projects and value-add acquisitions, ensuring all costs incurred are properly recorded, including accurate journal entries to record activity, maintaining the general ledger, and reconciling account balances.
- Maintain fixed asset system for capital costs on development and value-add properties.
- Prepare property-level budgets including compiling and analyzing lease information, capital spending, and operating expenses.
- Review lease administration including lease set up and receipt of proper lease documentation.
- Review job cost reports and general ledger detail to insure proper coding of capital costs.
- Oversee receipt, payment, and allocation of property tax statements for development and value-add properties.
- Prepare quarterly and annual workpapers as needed for financial reporting and to assist with the external audit.
- Prepare operational reports and graphs for executive management and board of directors.
- Acts as liaison to internal and external auditors by explaining journal entries and financial transactions, providing research data and information as requested, and answering questions necessary to complete the audit in a timely manner.
- Communicates with property managers to provide support and ensure accurate and timely completion of financial reporting close activities.
- Completes various financial, accounting, administrative, and other reports and analysis, and performs other duties as assigned or as necessary.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required; advanced degree preferred.
- CPA designation preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience is required. Preference will be given to candidates with real estate and/or public accounting experience.
- Experience with Yardi or similar real estate accounting systems is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Clear understanding of GAAP and lease accounting.
- Must be organized, detailed, flexible, efficient and take ownership of own work product.
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills.